|Running time||121 minutes|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
This article is about the film, for other usages see: Constantine (disambiguation).
Constantine is a 2005 American action horror film directed by Francis Lawrence. The film is based on the Hellblazer comic book series, with plot elements taken from the Dangerous Habits story arc (Issues #41-46) and the Original Sins trade paperback.
John Constantine is a cynic with the ability to perceive and communicate with half-angels and half-demons in their true form. He seeks salvation from eternal damnation in Hell for a suicide attempt in his youth. Constantine exorcises demons back to Hell in a bid to earn favor with Heaven but has become weary over time. With death looming, he helps a troubled police detective learn the truth about her sister's death while simultaneously unraveling a much larger and darker plot.
Cast and CrewEdit
- Keanu Reeves as John Constantine
- Rachel Weisz as Angela / Isabel Dodson
- Shia LaBeouf as Chas Kramer
- Tilda Swinton as Gabriel
- Pruitt Taylor Vince as Father Hennessy
- Djimon Hounsou as Papa Midnite
- Gavin Rossdale as Balthazar
- Peter Stormare as Lucifer
- Max Baker as Beeman
- The film’s title was changed from Hellblazer to Constantine to avoid confusion with the Hellraiser films. The comics series itself was originally to be titled Hellraiser but was also retitled to avoid confusion with the film, released the previous year.
- Originally, Tarsem Singh was attached to direct with Nicolas Cage to star. However, the director said that "with Cage, I cannot make the film I had wanted to". Soon after Singh left the picture, Cage did as well.